What Young Children Like in Books
Choose the books your baby and toddler will love!
Birth – 6 months
Books with simple, large pictures or designs with bright colors.
- Board books (stiff cardboard), or fold out books that can be propped up in crib.
- Cloth and soft vinyl books with simple pictures of people or familiar objects that can go in the bath or can be washed.
6 – 12 months
Board books with photos of other babies, brightly colored books, and “chunky books” to touch.
- Books with photos of familiar objects like balls and bottles.
- Books with sturdy pages that can be propped up or spread out on a blanket.
- Plastic/vinyl books for bath time.
- Small plastic photo albums of family and friends.
Sturdy board books that can be carried easily.
- Books with photos of children doing familiar things, like sleeping or playing.
- Goodnight books for bedtime.
- Books about saying hello and good-bye.
- Animal books of all sizes and shapes.
- Books with simple rhymes or predictable text.
- Books with only a few words on the page.
2 – 3 years
- Books that tell simple stories/simple rhyming books that can be memorize.
- Bed time books.
- Books about counting, the alphabet, shapes or sizes.
- Animal books, vehicle books, books about playtime.
- Books with their favorite TV characters inside.
- Books about saying hello and goodbye.